Unfortunately, you may be faced with an emergency situation at some point in your pet’s life. Most of the time, HousePaws Mobile Veterinary Services will be able to handle your emergency in your home. In some cases, we may ask to meet you at an affiliate hospital. In the event the emergency needs to be handled by a specialty center, we will guide you on the best choice for your pet’s extensive care.
IN GENERAL, WHAT IS AN EMERGENCY?
- Any problem that persists longer than 24 hours.
- Any problem that worsens over several hours.
- Any systemic problems such as lethargy, loss of appetite, weakness and fever.
- Body temperature less than 100°F or greater than 104°F.
- Any indication that more than one body system (GI, urinary, neurological) is affected.
- Frequent bouts of vomiting or diarrhea resulting in loss of large volumes of fluid.
- Inability to drink or keep water down.
- Blood or black material (digested blood) in the vomit or stool.
- More than three to four episodes of vomiting or diarrhea in a puppy or in a dog older than eight years.
- Vomiting following suspected ingestion of foreign material (toys, garbage, rocks, etc).
- Suspected poisoning.
- Bleeding from nose, mouth or anus.
- Bleeding accompanied by bruising of the skin, especially on the abdomen.
- Bleeding that cannot be stopped by applying pressure.
- Excessive blood loss.
- Weakness, difficulty breathing, or reluctance to move after a bleeding episode.
- Obvious fracture of a limb.
- Non-weight bearing lameness persisting for more than 12 hours.
- Swollen, painful joints or a gait that appears as if “walking on eggshells”.
- Paralysis of one or more limbs.
- Lameness that initially improves but does not resolve in 24-48 hours.
In case of an emergency, go to the nearest emergency clinic to you.
Below are listed emergency affiliates in our service areas:
315 Robbinsville Allentown Road Robbinsville, NJ 08691
2834 Route 73N Maple Shade, NJ 08052
University of Pennsylvania
3900 Spruce Street Philadelphia PA 19104
Regional Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center
4250 Route 42 Turnersville NJ
VSEC (Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center)
1114 South Front Street, Philadelphia PA 19147
301 Veterans Highway, Levittown, PA 19056
ASPCA 24 Hour Emergency Hotline